Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Aleph 19 Upgrade: The Final Week

On Tuesday, July 21 FCLA will upgrade our Aleph Library System from version 18 to version 19. Our system will be down from approximately 5:45AM to 10:00AM. The library OPAC will work but the patron empowerment features, like holds and renewals, will not. Here is how the upgrade process should proceed.

Some of you have been asked to to assist with the testing in preparation for this conversion and department heads of affected areas have been given a checklist to verify functionality using the test client. If you were given a checklist, please review the operations and let me know if you have any questions or concerns. I will be coming by this week to install the Aleph 19 Production client on your machines. It will not work until the new system is brought online Tuesday.

On Monday, July 20 I will install the new offline circulation module on to the circ desk. In the highly unlikely event that Aleph goes down Monday evening, circulation events should be recorded manually. Please insure that all student workers understand this or library transactions will be lost.

On Tuesday, July 21 all circulation should be handled through the Al500 Offline client until we are given the go ahead to switch over to production. Once that happens, I will share through a lib-all email. At that point I will be at the circ desk ensuring that the morning’s data is loaded properly. If you have any issues with the new client, please email me and I will do my best to find a solution as soon as possible. I am setting the circ desk and the OPAC as my first priorities.

I do not expect this process to be difficult or painful. FCLA has put a great deal of effort into preparing for this and we have been testing for quite some time as well.

Again, if you have any questions or concerns, please let me know as soon as possible.

No comments: