Monday, September 22, 2008

Top Ten Visions for the Library

I've belonged to the T.A.G. (Technical Advisory Group) for over a year now and one of the first things I talked to them about was putting together a vision for our libraries. I quickly placed mine on the super secret TAG member eyes only blog but no one took up the challenge to confirm my genius or decry my insanity. Now, nearly a year after posting it, I'd like to share it with all of you. Below is my Top 10 list just as I posted it back in 2007.

Top Ten Things I'd Like to See in the Library

Here is my top ten list of the technologies I would like to see in SUS
libraries. It is my personal list. Perhaps others share this vision.
Please comment.

1. Virtual Special Collections.
One firm belief that I have is that if you cannot check it out, it should be available online. I'd like to be able to have a virtual full image tour of Special Collections. Every picture, every object should be viewable and browseable(sp?). I envision something like a QuicktimeVR tour or Second Life exhibit.

2. Patron unmediated borrowing
One-click ILL that goes directly to the lending institution.

3. Patron unmediated checkout
It just sounds cooler than self check-out

4. Real-time account creation.
From Banner's mouth to Aleph's brain, when you become a part of the university family, you shouldn't have to wait to have a library account nor should our librarians have to create a temporary ID.

5. All SUS users accessible through Aleph
Please don't make me leave Aleph and go to a web page to determine the status of another University student already in Aleph. Don't even make me log in as someone special. We have a union catalog, how about a union patron file?

6. Catalog results with book covers, reviews and a virtual map
I want to see the book. I want to know what the faculty and post grads think and I want a picture of where to go to get the book.

7. Catalog results with campus associations
If we have an authority in the field of astrophysics, I'd like to know it when I pull up hits in our catalog on the subject. Have contact info or links to their website. This is the next step in knowledge management IMHO.

8. Seamless sign-on for Aleph patrons
Once you log into the network, you shouldn't have to login to your library account. You certainly shouldn't have to have a separate user name and password.

9. A single report to display holdings count and circulations by call number range
Doesn't everyone want this?

10. SUS driving media contracts
We have the power to tell the vendors what we want and the what rights we want if we bargain collectively. I think we give up too easily.

No comments: